With this recipe, I would consider it a family staple. Of all the things I fix for my own family, this is one that both of my "big" kids love. I like it because it is one of those things that get even better the next day for a warm lunch.
The recipe is flexible. For example, if you only have 1 breast or left over roasted chicken, you can use just that. If using already prepared left over chicken from another meal, I would make my rice in water including a bouillon cube. By the way, bouillon cubes should always be a staple in your pantry. It is super inexpensive and will add flavor to many recipes. Also, when a recipe calls for chicken broth, I make my own using some heated water and my bouillon cube.
2 chicken breast
Rice, I make instant rice using 2 cups and water and 2 cups of rice
1 small can of green chopped chilies
1 small can of mushrooms, this gives the dish some texture and will absorb the flavors
2 cups of grated cheese, if any family member does not like cheese, only put cheese over part of the dish
bouillon cubes, I use 2
salt and pepper
- In a pot of water, add the chicken, bouillon cube and cook until tender.
- Take the chicken out to rest and keep the juices.
- In the same juices, I put the rice in my casserole dish and add the amount of broth from the chicken while it is still hot.
- Once the rice is done, add the chilies and the mushroom, drained
- Cut the chicken into bit size pieces and add
- You will want to add some extra broth in the dish so it will not bee too dry
- Add some salt and pepper to taste
- Stir in dish, distribute evenly in dish
- Cover with the cheese and bake @ 350 degrees until it is bubbly and the cheese is melted
This is good with just some green beans or a salad. Note: my recipe for the green beans is embed in this link.